Sunday, July 17, 2011
How do you know you work in IT
Its almost a year since I have started working in, you guessed it right, IT.its been good to bad to weird to downright ABSURD and have noticed quite a few things which makes it different from other walks of occupation. So how do you know you work in IT
You know you work in IT When/IF:
1. You believe there is no point going out for lunch/dinner if drinks are not involved
2. You know that Escalations have nothing to do with stairs
3. You have 2 cell phones 1 of which you never carry to office and only your family and friends know about it
4. You know the places where liquor is available 24*7 even on dry days
5. Writing mails is way more important than the work you do. It’s an art and you always wonder how you managed to work without mails while in college
6. Anything you find interesting will be if not already is, BLOCKED
7. The most important lesson you have learnt is to never ever argue with your manager. It’s going to backfire for sure.
8. You hate the company and the client you work for.
9. Sleeping between the meetings while still echoing ‘I agree absolutely’ is 1 thing you have perfected
10. You firmly believe that ‘networking’ is an overhyped word.
11. You can’t explain your work to the seniors in your family or their friends
14. Identifying who screwed up is more important than the work itself
15. When asked about weekends the reply HAS to be “I have got plans” if you don’t want to work on Saturdays
16. It’s not official until on mail
17. Everyone knows how to play Ping-Pong
18. Tea and coffee tastes awful but you still drink it because it helps pass time
19. Being on bench is not at all comfortable
20. You know the difference between H1 and B1
21. You think getting a MBA degree will solve most of your problems if not all
22. All your non-IT friends think you are a budding millionaire
23. You know major landmarks in Bangalore as the back of your head
24. ‘SIT’ ‘UAT’ ‘Billable’ ‘Performance testing’ ‘Resource utilization’ ‘Data validation’ are terms that are used everyday and actually make sense to you
25. You hate your job
Have you observed something that’s unique to this job?