Saturday, August 13, 2011
Aren’t we the most RACIST and HYPPOCRITE country in the world?
*post might not make sense at all, but just wanted to write it*
We were never a cosmopolitan country. We are always looking for reasons to debate on topics to prove ourselves superior to other people who look/dress/talk different from us.
The recent turn of events surrounding the movie “Aarakshan” has brought the elephant in the room in the limelight. First the supposedly-moral policing and now the imposed ban on the movie because it could ‘hurt sentiments’. I absolutely refuse to buy the logic. Isn’t that the job entrusted upon the censor board to check if some part or for that matter, the whole movie hurts sentiments or not? It’s a shame in the name of democracy that the director has to show the movie to certain group because 5-10 people pelting stones at a theatre is reason enough for the show to get cancelled.
Let’s delve into the past and sample some ‘moments’:
• Women in some pub were thrashed because they were caught drinking and that’s against Indian culture
• Couple molested in ________(add city name) in a _________(add place name) on Valentine’s day
• _________(add caste name) group of India has threatened to stop release of _______(add movie name) because it shows them in bad light
• Another Group belonging to __________ (add Caste) has gone on a stir (which always includes ransacking public property or better, stopping trains) if their demands are not met.
• ___________ community has demanded that they be recognized as SC/ST/OBC and be given _%(add a number) quota in Govt jobs(they can sue you in Indian penal court if you happen to call them YOU-KNOW-WHAT)
• A __________(add relative’s name) killed his ______(the relation of the FEMALE) to protect family honor
• The students of ___________(add a source state’s name) were beaten badly and weren’t allowed to write exams in _______________(add a destination state’s name)
• A __(add an age) year old FEMALE was subjected to ___________(add a hideous crime) in _______(add city name)
Also add other society/culture-FLAG-bearer’s who have their own list of DO’s/Don’ts mostly on how women should dress/eat/walk/breathe/sit to protect the INDIAN-Culture
Headlines look Familiar? Read any of them? I am sure every one of have read and seen it all.
- Some political party tells us that other people are coming and taking YOUR jobs and you start abusing the person.
- A teacher tells a student in his 1st class in his dept. that “WHY DO YOU PEOPLE COME HERE?”
- A person blames other person of theft just because he happens to carry the same cell phone he had and belongs to a certain place
Don’t we see these people playing the caste, region and language card at every chance they see? are we really THAT dumb?
If you don’t like the image in the mirror, why blame the mirror?
Isn’t it high time we stop pretending to be cosmopolitan? The people who play the caste card regularly to promote their brand of politics are the same people who are justifying the ban on the movie citing reasons that it can provoke communal violence.
Mahatma Gandhi says in the movie ‘GANDHI’
“for the independence we must prove ourselves worthy of it”
ask yourselves, do we deserve being called a independent and CIVILIZED society?
have similar thoughts? do share?